History
Since 1790 indicativo
In the fourteenth century, the building was owned by the famous Della Pera family, ancestors of the historic Peruzzi family and, around the mid-nineteenth century, the building was already known as an elegant hotel, the Albergo dello Scudo di Francia. It was, however, when Florence was Capital of the Kingdom of Italy (1865-1871) that it experienced its great moment of splendour. The Scudo di Francia became the Hotel Columbia Parlamento, frequented by members of the Chamber of Deputies, who met in Palazzo Vecchio, and by senators, who met in Palazzo Pitti. The extensions and transformations that determined its current appearance date back to this period: a measured reinterpretation of the Renaissance architectural styles, contrasted with the luxury interiors, including velvets and damasks, according to the high standards of the rich Italian and European bourgeoisie. With the transfer of the capital to Rome, the hotel lost its fame, until the 1980s, when important renovation works were started.
Contacts
Address: Piazza San Firenze, 29

