District

Santa Maria Novella

History

Since 1911, iscrizione 1925

The Hotel Nizza has existed in its evolving forms and functions for almost 600 years. The hotel is located where the city’s first municipal walls once stood, built between 1173 and 1175. In 1284, the municipality decided to expand the existing city walls, creating a much larger enclosure that included the new neighborhoods that had sprung up outside the original walls. The works were completed in 1333, and the demolition of the old walls made way for new urbanization, which, thanks to the resulting construction materials, revealed the palace that now houses the hotel. In-depth research is still ongoing, but it is certain that in the 1800s, the building hosted several monks, including the famous Bernardino Bambi, whose stay is commemorated by a marble plaque in the current breakfast room.

It is presumed that hospitality was already the primary function of the palace from its construction, as all the land beyond the adjoining city walls was likely owned by the Church of Santa Maria Novella. The building was conceived as a hotel around 1911, a status later confirmed by a document from the Chamber of Commerce in 1924, recently discovered among old papers in an attic.

Today, Roberto Gurrieri and Michele Lassi (the last direct descendant of Jacopo Lassi, who in 1297 was an ambassador of peace between the Pisans and Luccheses during the troubled period of the wars between the communes), along with their families and staff, strive to continue a tradition as ancient as hospitality, always in harmony with the history and origins of the palace.

Contacts

Address: Via del Giglio, 5