District

Santa Croce

History

Since 1950

The Leather School was founded in the immediate post-war period thanks to the collaboration between the Conventual Franciscans of the Basilica of Santa Croce and the Gori family, Florentine leatherworkers since 1930. The first workbenches on which Marcello Gori began to teach his students the ancient art of working leather and animal hides were designed by Superintendent Arch. Rossi in the early ’50s and have never been changed. The first students were the war orphans of the Città dei Ragazzi of Pisa, then followed by young people from the most disadvantaged districts of Florence and others from the Third World sent to the School by the then Mayor Giorgio La Pira. From May 1950, when the Scuola del Cuoio received formal recognition, it began selling its own worked leather products. Currently the founder’s daughters and grandson manage the school, respecting the quality of manufacturing, excellence in the choice of materials, and the exclusivity of the service.

Contacts

Address: Via S. Giuseppe, 5r

Website: http://www.scuoladelcuoio.com

Email: info@scuoladelcuoio.com

Phone: +39 055 244533